Medigap Plan M
In a comparison of the other plans, Medigap Plan M sits right next to Plan D in terms of what it offers to consumers, with just one key point separating the two: in Medigap Plan M, the beneficiary is expected to pay half of the Medicare Part A deductible, whereas in Plan D this is 100% covered by Medigap.
What Is Included as Part of Medigap Plan M Coverage
The full list of coverage offered by Medigap Plan M is as follows:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital fees for up to 365 days after the Medicare benefits have been used up
- Medicare Part A hospice and palliative care coinsurance and copayments
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayments
- Coinsurance payments for skilled nursing care
- Medicare Part B excess charge (any charge above the Medicare-approved fee)
- Foreign travel coverage (up to 80% of healthcare emergency fees accrued when traveling)
- 50% of Medicare Part A deductible costs
Medigap Plan M does not cover Medicare Part B deductible or excess charges. Any charge received from a doctor for treatment that falls outside the remit or limit of the Medicare insurance will be passed straight on to the beneficiary to pay.
Where possible, compare and contrast the different Medigap supplement insurance plans according to your needs before progressing with one of them. Each has its own benefits, whether it be comprehensive coverage or the promise of a cheaper monthly premium. So it is important to understand exactly what you are getting for your money.