Medigap Plan L
Medigap Part L is one of ten plans supported by Medigap. It is particularly popular with those looking for a basic level of additional cover that promises low monthly premiums.
What Is Included as Part of Medigap Plan L Coverage
Aside from the obvious selling point, which is the low out-of-pocket limit, Medigap Plan L offers a range of other benefits, featuring:
- 100% of Medicare Part A coinsurance and copayment expenses for an additional 365 days in a hospital facility, after Medicare benefits have run out
- 75% of Part A deductible
- 75% of Part A hospice and palliative care copayments
- 75% of the first three pints of blood required for a medical procedure
- 75% of expenses accrued in a skilled nursing care setting
- 75% of Part B coinsurance or copayments
Medigap Plan L also has an out-of-pocket limit, and to give you an indication of what this looks like, in 2020, it was set at $2,940. In 2021, it is $3,110. What this means for beneficiaries is that once their Medicare coverage has been exhausted, they are liable to pay up to $3,110 of additional medical and treatment fees before Medigap kicks in and covers 100% of all eligible fees after that for the rest of the year.
How Much Does Medigap Plan L Cost?
Of course, with such high benefits and such a low out-of-pocket limit, Medigap Plan L is one of the more popular supplement insurance plans. In terms of the other ten plans on offer, Plan L sits at the cheaper end of the scale in terms of what consumers must pay. However, these plans vary from state to state depending on the local insurance providers and what fees they decide to charge, so there is no set figure that one can use to compare against.